Foodies keen to spice up their weekly rotation of meals can share the flavours of the Maldives with loved ones thanks to the chefs at The Residence Maldives, who have shared a recipe for traditional Maldivian chicken and coconut curry known as Kukulhu Riha. Paired with a coconut flatbread known as Huni Roshi, this mouth-watering rustic and authentic meal is sure to transport diners to the palm-fringed shores of the resort, which is nestled on the pristine island of Falhumaafushi.
Recipe for Kukulhu Riha (Maldivian Chicken Curry)
- 220g chicken thigh
- 15g cardamom
- 10g black pepper
- 3g cumin powder
- 10g cinnamon
- 80g sliced red onion
- 30g ginger paste
- 30g garlic paste
- 1 pandan leaf
- ¼ cup of curry leaves
- 10g turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 30g dried red chillies
- 50g masala powder
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 15g curry powder
- 15g tomato paste
- Juice from three limes
- Cut the chicken into pieces and marinate with lime juice and salt.
- Heat oil in a casserole pan and add the cinnamon, pandan leaf, curry leaves and dried red chillies. Add the sliced onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the ginger, garlic and tomato pastes plus the remaining spices and cook until aromatic.
- Add the chicken and after a few minutes of cooking add the coconut milk.
- Cook the curry for 10-15 minutes on medium heat.
Recipe for Huni Roshi (Maldivian Flat Coconut Bread)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour and more flour for rolling
- 1 ½ cup grated coconut (not pressed)
- 1 ¾ cup water
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- In a big bowl mix flour, salt and coconut.
- Add 1 ½ cup water and combine well.
- Rest of the water is added little by little; all the water may not be needed or sometimes you may until all the flour is incorporated.
- Knead to make a smooth non-stick dough.
- Divide the dough into four equal portions. Smoothen each portion.
- Flour a rolling surface and roll each dough into the shape of discs.
- Bake this on a pan on medium heat till different spots start to turn golden brown.